It’s getting cold!

With very cold weather expected in our area over the next few days we wanted to give some information to keep your family safe and help the community.

7 out of 10 fires in homes in colder months are caused by space heaters.  The Consumer Product Safety Commission says that more than 25,000 residential fires and more than 300 deaths are caused each year by space heaters. We all want to stay warm but fire officials caution us about their use.  Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from furniture curtains and bedding. You should NEVER plug a heater into a power strip. They are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire.  Also, be careful that they are not placed near anything that can catch fire and follow the manufacturers guidelines.